Fab for a special breakfast or brunch. You’d never be able to tell the waffles are vegan! We topped with fresh fruit, syrup & whipped cream.
We were very excited a few weeks ago to discover plant based single cream and even more excited now to have discovered Plant based Double Cream! This one was Elmlea. It’s a real game changer!! I Can’t wait to try some more recipes with it.
We whisked it the same way you would normal double cream – until it’s a thick consistency – you can add a spoon or 2 of icing sugar if you want to sweeten it a bit.
This recipe makes 4
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups of non-dairy milk
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- (Optional – I added a mashed banana)
- Grease the waffle iron with vegetable oil and turn it on.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Add the plant milk, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients
- Whisk the mixture by hand until its a smooth batter
- Pour the batter into the waffle iron according to its instructions.
- open the waffle maker only when they are ready! The best way to tell is when steam stops coming out of the waffle iron.
- Open the waffle maker slowly to allow them time to release.
- Whilst you are cooking more waffles place them on a baking tray in a low oven until you are ready to serve them to keep them crisp & warm.
These waffles came out perfectly crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Enjoy with your favourite toppings!