This recipe was a real winner & so simple to make, tasted delicious. My son really likes it when I veganise a tradional recipe that’s one of his favourites. (Also one of the least vegan dishes you could think of!) The sauce was creamy & cheesey and perfect with the salty smoky chewy bites.
You can adapt and do with or without the mushrooms & the peas are something I like to add as they compliment the smoky ‘bacon’. Also I used to try to sneak vegetables into recipes – my son pointed out that I shouldn’t have to do that now as everything he eats is plant based anyway 😂
- 200 g mushrooms (optional)
- 50 g frozen peas (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g Vegan ‘bacon’ (we used Vivera plant bacon pieces)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tsp Garlic Salt
- Salt & pepper to season
- 200 ml Vegan Double Cream (we used Elmlea)
- Chopped Parsley
- Handful of Grated Vegan cheese (we used Violife)
- 200 g / 7 oz spaghetti
- Cook the spaghetti- according to pack instructions.
- Heat the oil in a big frying pan.
- Add the crushed garlic & garlic salt. Stir and fry for a minute.
- Add the vegan bacon & sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas & fry for 2/3 minutes.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast flakes (this gives it the slightly eggy flavour.
- Add the plant vegan double cream & simmer & stir well for 2 / 3 minutes until it’s a consistency not too thin.
- Serve immediately over the spaghetti.
- Top with chopped Parsley & the grated vegan cheese. (We like the Violife as seems to melt better than other vegan cheese we’ve tried.