This was the best cake I ever made according to my boys.
It’s like a Bakewell tart but in a cake format. Really easy to make and nobody would guess its vegan. It’s everything good about cake – soft, fruity, moist, crumbly and deliciously nutty.
The ingredients are quite simple as all measure 150!
I made a couple of mistakes – we’d run out of baking paper, I was determined to make the cake anyway & was not gonna queue up at the shop! So I just greased the bottom of the tin with the veg spread. Then we were so excited about the cake I forgot to remove the bottom of the tin lol 😂 anyway the cake was still amazing it can’t not taste good!
- 150g vegetable spread
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g flour
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 150g ground almonds
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 150 ml warmed soy milk
- 1 /2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons 7 up or sprite
- 3 tablespoons black cherry jam
- 150g fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 100g flaked almonds
- For the icing
- 50 g icing sugar
- Juice 1/4 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Base line a 23 cm (8½-9½in) spring clip cake tin with baking parchment.
- Beat the vegan butter, sugar, flour, ground almonds, baking powder lemonade & vanilla extract together.
- Mix the warm milk in a bowl with the bicarbonate of soda, then add the apple cider vinegar. Beat all the ingredients together quickly. – The mixture becomes frothy & bubbly (will help the cake rise in place of eggs)
- Fold the milk mixture into the batter.
- Spoon half of the batter into the lined cake tin and smooth it over.
- Dot the jam, a teaspoon at a time over the batter.
- Scatter fresh cherries on top.
- Drop spoonfuls of the remaining batter over the cherries to cover it.
- Scatter the flaked almonds over the top and bake for 45-50 minutes until well-risen and golden brown.
Cherry almond cake bake (vegan dairy-free)
- Leave to stand for five minutes in the tin then remove by running a knife around, unclip and slide the cake onto a wire
- For the icing, mix the icing sugar and lemon in a bowl stirring until smooth and thick.
- Drizzle over the cooked cake.
We had this whilst it was still warm with some vegan Whipped spray cream. It was equally nice chilled the next day with a nice cup of tea!