There’s some really good vegan plant based meat replacements. I wanted to do something a bit different as we often make spaghetti bolognese or lasagne & my boys have never like shepherds pie – in fact my son labelled my attempt as ‘Shepherds Cry!’
This was a nice alternative; crispy, sweet & savoury dish like a Chinese takeaway. Just Marinade the plant beef with the ginger & spices before frying.
- 200 g Plant based Minced Beef (there are lots of brands for this particular one we used Viv era)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon dry chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese 5 spice
- Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 x Spring onion chopped
- 200 G – of your preferred Fresh Veg chopped (Peppers, Beansprouts, Baby Corn , carrots are nice )
- Fresh Coriander
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Rice or noodles to serve
- Mix the garlic, ginger, chilli flakes, Chinese five spice, soy sauce & lime with the plant beef and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan.
- Add the beef mixture and fry, stirring regularly until it gets very brown and crispy.
- Add the spring onions & stir fry for a minute.
- Add the fresh vegetables & fry for 3/4 minutes.
- You may need to add some more tablespoons of soy sauce and water (it is meant to be crispy & not much sauce but you don’t want the mixture to be too dry.
- Add a sprinkle of the coriander.
Serve with noodles or steamed rice. This would also be nice sprinkled over a salad.