This is a really nice recipe my son was impressed he said he fancied a Chinese takeaway but no need as i cooked it myself from scratch and took less than 30 mins. The perfect ‘Fakeaway’! It was everything you expect from this classic Chinese dish; crispy, tangy and sweet!
- 1 pack vegan chicken nuggets – Quorn or we used Linda McCartney Southern fried vegetarian chicken.
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable oil.
- 1 large onion – peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 red pepper – chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 yellow or green pepper – chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic – peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp minced or grated ginger
- 227 Can pineapple pieces – cut into chunks
- (You can add additional vegetables if you like – I put in some chopped leek & Chinese cabbage – this is optional)
- ** optional sesame seeds**
- Salt & pepper to season
- Cooked white rice, to serve
Sweet & sour sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy
- 3 tbsp vinegar (malt, white wine or apple cider vinegar are all ok)
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water, to thicken
- Cook the Vegan ‘chicken’ according to instructions.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan until very hot.
- Add the onions, cook for 3 minutes, stirring until they start to soften.
- Add the peppers and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Onions & Peppers
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add the soy sauce, Vinegar, ketchup, sugar & pineapple including some of the juice.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and leave it on a low temperature so it’s just simmering.
- Add the cornflour & water mixture this will thicken your sauce and give it a nice gloss, simmer for 2 minutes stirring through.
- Transfer the cooked vegan chicken to the pan with the sauce and toss to coat. (I cut my vegan chicken into smaller pieces first)
- If you have the sesame seeds (we didn’t) sprinkle over
- Serve with rice.