This classic Thai curry is so simple to make – takes minutes and tastes amazing.
I definitely recommend using Fresh Vegetables & herbs in this curry which compliment the delicately spiced more-ish lightly spiced coconut sauce.
You can make this as a simple vegetable curry however I added Vegan chicken (Linda Mcartney- Pulled chicken) You could also use Tofu.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5cm piece ginger, grated
- 5 tbsp Thai red curry paste ** (check the curry paste depending on the brand as some contain fish sauce) we used Blue Dragon ** ( or homemade recipe below)
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 Red, Yellow & Orange bell pepper , deseeded and diced (or just use Red bell pepper)
- 200g Vegan chicken
- Can of coconut milk
- ½ vegetable stock cube (to make 75ml stock)
- 200 g Fresh Vegetables of your choice good ones are (Sugar snap peas, baby corn, green beans, mange tout, Chinese leaf cabbage)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Steamed rice, to serve
** Optional – I like to jazz up the rice by adding some grated carrot, crushed nuts, & finely chopped spring onion & coriander)
** Optional You can make your own Red curry paste: Blitz the following ingredients in a food processor:
4 Red Chillies, 4 teaspoons Red Chillies, 4 teaspoons coriander seeds, 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, 4 stems lemon grass, 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, 4 shallots, 6 cloves garlic, grated zest and juice of 2 limes, 2 spoons paprika.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the onion. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and red curry paste. Cook for 1 min.
- Add the red pepper, vegan chicken .
- Continue to cook for 2,3 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetables stir through & cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the Soy sauce, lime juice & teaspoon sugar.
- Pour the coconut milk and vegetable stock into the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5/ 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, Scatter with coriander and serve with rice.