It’s hard to believe this delicious dessert is vegan & dairy free! It’s long been a family favourite and I’m happy to have ‘veganised’ it. It tastes just as good! Bananas, caramel, biscuit & cream it’s a winning combination!
- 225 g Biscuits (We used Ginger Biscuits which are naturally vegan depending on the brand – check the packaging but you can use plain digestives)
- 100g Vegetable spread
The Caramel filling
**Cheat** You can cheat like i did when I discovered Betty Crocker Salted Caramel Flavour Icing!! – naturally vegan & – ready to spread straight out of the container!!
Or make your own:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan spread
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 150 ml Vegan Double Cream (Alpro)
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 50 G Dark Chocolate
- To make the base, butter and line loose-bottomed tin with baking parchment. Put the digestive biscuits in a plastic food bag and crush to crumbs with a rolling pin or similar object.
- Melt the vegetable spread.
- Put the biscuit crumbs in a bowl and Mix thoroughly with the melted vegan butter until the crumbs are completely coated.
- Tip them into the prepared tin and press firmly down into the base .
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hr to set firmly.
- For the caramel sauce – you can spread the Betty Crocker ready made icing over the base. Or:
- Bring brown sugar, vegan butter, and coconut milk to a gentle boil and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add vanilla extract.
- Wait for it to cool before spreading evenly over the biscuit base.
- Slice & layer the banana over the caramel.
- Whisk the vegan double cream & icing sugar until it’s a thick consistency.
- Place the whipped cream over the bananas.
- Grate the dark chocolate over to finish.
- Chill for an hour & serve!