Hummus is such a delicious dip it even has a day dedicated to it! Today May 13th is international Hummus Day!!
Also a bonus as it is a naturally vegan recipe!
This Middle-Eastern Dip is fresh, healthy simple & easy to make within minutes, it tastes so much better than shop-bought that it’s worth the extra effort to make yourself.
I use a can of chickpeas but you can used dried ones if you follow the pack instructions before use.
You can make it with or without tahini (I couldn’t get any but it still tastes amazing without)
- 1 x 400 g tin of chickpeas
- 1 small clove of garlic: crushed/ chopped or grated
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ( 1 tablespoon tahini) if you can source.
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- (Optional teaspoon baking powder)
- Tablespoon of olive oil drizzled over the top
- Fresh Parsley or Coriander
- Chopped olives
- Chilli flakes
- Toasted pine nuts
The first step is optinial if you have time;
- Drain & boil the chickpeas with the teaspoon of baking powder for 20 mins. – The powder reacts & boiling them results in a smoother softer consistency.
- Mix the chickpeas (either drained from the can – or after cooled down from boiling. With the – garlic, lemon & olive oil, tahini & seasoning.
- You can use a handblender or food processor to blend until it’s a thick, creamy consistency. If you want to make it smoother add a tablespoon or 2 of water as you go along.
- Put in a bowl & garnish with your preference – paprika, herbs, olive oil etc.
Best served with – Raw vegetables – Carrot, Pepper, cucumber or with flatbread, warmed Pitta-bread, breadsticks or crisps!! Yummy hummus.