This is so simple to make & a delicious treat for a special breakfast/ brunch or even a dessert, tastes so good you wouldn’t believe it’s egg-free & vegan!
It uses nutritional yeast, (which seems weird, but it does give it an eggy essence. (Nutritional yeast isn’t the same as baking yeast. Look for yellow nutritional yeast flakes )
You can use any bread but a French loaf or ciabatta is best as it absorbs the mix without getting too soggy & falling apart. It should be at least a day or 2 old. – it’s a great recipe for using up leftover bread. Handy during these times of quarantine.
- 4-6 slices of French or ciabatta bread, sliced about ¾-inch thick
- 1 cup Oat (or plant-based Milk) We used the Innocent one as it is very nice, has a more luxury taste)
- 1 tablespoon syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast**
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Tiny pinch of salt
- Coconut oil or vegetable spread.
- In a bowl whisk together the Oat milk, syrup, flour, nutritional yeast, icing sugar, cinnamon & salt.
- Place the bread in a shallow dish (with sides, pour the mixture over the bread, leave it to absorb for a couple of minutes & turn over so all sides are covered.
- Heat some vegetable spread or coconut oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the bread slices, cook for a few minutes each side until golden brown.
- Serve with syrup and fresh fruit.