This is a fun & easy recipe to make and perfect for the quarantine as you can use up any biscuits you may have left in the tin!!
I’ve done a vegan (dairy-free) version as usual, although you wouldn’t guess it was if you tasted it!
When I started this blog I said it would be vegan & delicious recipes not healthy lol although you could add dried fruit to the mix!
- 125 grams vegan butter or spread (we used Flora)
- 300 grams dark chocolate (most dark chocolate over 70% cocoa is naturally vegan but check the packaging first! broken into pieces
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 300 grams biscuits
(You can use any plain biscuits – Digestives, coconut rings, fruit shortcake or even a combination)
The beauty is you can adapt the recipe & put in anything you like – we added Brazil nuts & popcorn – you can also use dried fruit.
The traditional recipe has Marshmallows, however I couldn’t find any vegan marshmallows as they contain gelatine.
I discovered Dr Oetker Unicorn Confetti though which added some colour! (Checked & it’s suitable for vegans)
- Melt the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in a bowl over a saucepan filled shallowly with simmering water (or microwave).
- Put the biscuits into a freezer bag and then bash them with a rolling pin or mallet. You’re aiming for crumbs and chunks of biscuits. (This was fun – taking out our anger & beating those biscuits lol)
- Fold the biscuit pieces and crumbs into the melted chocolate mixture in the saucepan, and mix.
- Tip into a foil tray (24cm / 9 inch square); flatten as best you can with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar or we sprinkled with Dr Oetker Unicorn sprinkles to finish off with a bit of colour.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours or overnight.
- Cut into small slices.