It must be my Irish heritage but I love potatoes!! During quarantine we’ve – had Baked, mashed, roasted and chipped potatoes.
I thought I’d try hash browns & they were easier to make than I realised I would have done them before if I’d known!
You just need some potatoes, a grater & a frying pan.
• 2 or 3 medium potatoes peeled if desired
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
• ¼ teaspoon onion powder – we grated an onion as didnt have the powder.
• ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Parboil the potatoes (peeled or not) for 5 mins.
2. Grate the potatoes
3. Transfer the grated potato to a bowl and toss it with the salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
4. Shape the potatoes into patties
5. In a large frying pan warm the olive oil over medium heat until sizzlling.
6. Put the potatoes in the frying pan and press them down with a spatula. Let them cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes.
7. Stir again, press them down again, and cook for another 2 minutes. Repeat in 2-minute intervals, flipping in sections once they’re crispy enough to do so, until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy, about 4 to 8 more minutes.
8. Drain in paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
9. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
A lovely breakfast addition – to a breakfast muffin or side dish. We had with some fried mushrooms & spinach.