Russian Salad is a potato salad with the addition of vegetables & gherkins – this is a vegan version (without ham or eggs).
It’s a nice side dish and you can adapt the recipe to suit – we left out the gherkins. You could add peppers or sweetcorn. I cheated and used some mixed frozen veg – peas, carrots, sweetcorn & beans.
• 3 medium potatoes
• 2 carrots,
• 2 cups frozen or fresh peas (or mixed veg)
• 1 cup of gherkins, chopped into cubes
• 1/2 Onion (or spring onion)
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
• 1 small handful dill, or parsley chopped
• Salt & pepper to taste
1. Place the potatoes with skins in a saucepan and top with cold water.
2. Start cooking the potatoes on a medium to high heat. Add the whole carrots in 5 minutes into the cooking time. Cook all together for 20 minutes or until you can put a knife or a skewer through one of the potatoes easily.
3. Once the potatoes and carrots have finished cooking, rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.
4. Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes. Place in a bowl. (We left the skins on ours)
5. Cut the carrots into cubes Add to the bowl.
6. Bring water to the boil in a saucepan and place peas in and cook for around 2-3 minutes. Drain and add to the bowl.
7. Set aside until the ingredients have completely cooled. You can place in it in the fridge to speed up the process.
8. Dice the onion & gherkins & add to the bowl. Add the salt and mix well.
9. Mix the vegan mayonnaise through the vegetables.
10. Sprinkle with dill/ parsley (optional)
11. Serve cold.
12. It can stay in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.