This is a classic old time favourite of mine. So quick, easy & cheap to make!
It was one of the first things I used to make as a teenager myself. My best friend Maria & I used to make this all the time when we were poor in Paris!! Funny how food can make you nostalgic!
All you need is a baguette- & some of your favourite toppings! It’s a great way to use up a day old baguette and not waste it.
• 1 large loaf French baguette bread split in half lengthwise and crosswise
• 3 or more tablespoons of Tomato purée
• 3 or more tablespoons of ketchup
• Any herbs you have – Basil, Parsley, oregano or mixed herbs
• Garlic if you like?
• Vegan Cheese – (grated) we used (ready grated Violife)
• We used a combination of pre-fried red onions, mushrooms & sweetcorn
• Preheat the oven to 180
• Cut the French loaf in half lengthwise, then cut each half open into two pieces. Place the pieces of French Bread, cut side up, on a large baking sheet.
• Mix the tomato purée & ketchup
• Top each piece of bread with about 2 Tbsp pizza sauce and 1 oz. (or 1/4 cup grated vegan cheese.
• Add any additional toppings you desire.
• Bake the pizzas in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the bread is slightly brown and crispy on the edges. Serve hot.
I converted my son who initially was not impressed with my lunchtime snack idea but joined in to help make it & loved every bite – he polished off 4 pieces!